Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My Future ELA Classroom

When I envision my future ELA classroom now after taking this Language Arts class, most of my core beliefs remain the same, but I have picked up so many interesting ideas, strategies, and teaching techniques I never would have considered otherwise.

I still believe the diversity of students needs to be acknowledged and embraced by providing a variety of auditory, visual, and tactile learning experiences. By incorporating listening activities, art activities, as well as drama-related activities students are given a well-rounded, dynamic learning experience. While looking at the IRP I found this quote that completely corresponds with my thoughts in this area: "Students will be more engaged when 'provided time for active, creative responses to texts using discussion and multiple modes of response (writing, sketching, dramatizing, singing, projects, and so on) to promote critical analysis and creation of a range of new literacies'" (IRP, 35). I have also realized how important it is to have well thought out modifications and extensions to lesson plans for those students who are either struggling or exceeding. Both of these groups of students also need encouragement and enrichment to nurture their continued growth within the classroom.

One strategy I will definitely incorporate into my classroom is shared writing. I think this is a great technique for modeling proper writing techniques and involving the entire class in discussions. It is one of the most supportive strategies with the teacher and students composing text together. I think this is a great strategy, especially with the younger years, since the teacher is able to model what proper writing looks like, and get students thinking about how to assess and improve their own writing.

I also see drawing being an important component of my ELA classroom. In an article by Jennifer Savage, which I mentioned in my previous entry, pictures were used as cues to poems, charts, and words throughout the classroom to facilitate learning. I think since some children are visual learners and visual representation is need for a more comprehensive understanding, this is a great way to offer support for these children. I also believe drawing is important in terms of language development, since it is the first step in learning and printing text. Young children may need to draw something to get their thoughts across because their oral or written language is not entirely developed yet.

I will also enhance my ELA classroom is with the incorporation of technology. Even by simply using PowerPoint in everyday interactions, I think this will captivate students' interest more than simply using a chalkboard or whiteboard. Podcasting and blogs are both examples of additional technology components I will include, which I had never considered before this class.

Another important component to my classroom is going to involve attempting to make students more comfortable with public speaking. From personal experience, I know how difficult it can be to get up and speak in front of a group of peers. I mentioned in one of my previous entries that podcasting can be used as a stepping stone for public speaking. Throughout a school year students can begin with podcasts for presentations, followed by videocasts, and lastly actually speaking in front of the class. I absolutely love this idea and would have really enjoyed this in school. This would give students the opportunity to become more comfortable first with hearing their own voice (through the podcasts), and then seeing themselves (through the videocasts), and hopefully allowing for more confidence to develop in terms of speaking in front of their peers.

Overall I envision my classroom as one where every student is given the opportunity to thrive and enjoy their oral and written language development. I also see my classroom as being very open to new ideas and feedback from the students regarding what they enjoy or do not enjoy. If children feel their voice is being heard and what they say is considered important they will gladly share their ideas and take pride in activities they enjoy. I cannot wait to try these ideas in my classroom and continue to learn from my students and fellow teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment